Invoice format is a document containing various fields to mention the details of the products sold and other terms and conditions. It’s similar to a cash memo that we used to see in small stores but a polished online version. When planning to generate invoices using PC or mobile, businesses need to decide on the basic format.
Businesses must have some standard format to issue invoices to the customers. The invoice format can be custom made or obtained from a free online source. Some commonly used free invoice formats include – invoice format in Word, invoice format in Excel, invoice format in PDF, invoice format in Google Docs, invoice format in Google Sheets, etc.
Key Elements of an Invoice Format
Even though there is no prescribed format for an invoice as per the new tax norms, certain fields must be included according to invoice rules. The contents of the invoice format are as follows –
- Seller’s or supplier’s name, address and GSTIN
- A serial number containing alphabets, numbers, or special characters
- Date of bill generation
- Buyer or recipient’s name, address of delivery and GSTIN if registered
- HSN code
- Description and quantity of products or services
- The total price of products or services
- Applicable tax
- Tax rate – Central tax (CGST), State tax (SGST), Integrated tax (IGST), union territory tax or cess
- Place of supply or Delivery Address
- The signature or digital signature of the seller
So, while creating an invoice, make sure all the above details are included to comply with the invoice norms.
Different Types of Invoice Formats
An invoice format can be created using various online tools, including Word, Excel, PDF, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.
Invoice Format in Word
Creating invoice format in Word is one of the easy and simple methods. The invoice format in Word is best suitable for small and medium-sized enterprises as it is an affordable and easy to use tool. Anyone with a basic knowledge of using Word can use the software to create an invoice template of their choice.
Click here to get invoice format in Word.
Invoice format in Excel
The invoice format in Excel is another great way to create invoices. Excel has an extra feature compared to Word, as it allows the insertion of formulas for the auto-population of data. This feature is not available in Word, making invoice formats in Excel a better alternative for accurate billing.
Click here to get invoice format in Excel.
Invoice format in PDF
A secure alternative for invoice creation is using invoices in PDF format. The invoices generated in PDF cannot be edited further, making them secure. In addition, PDF invoice formats look professional so that users can share them directly with customers.
Click here to get invoice format PDF.
Invoice format in Google Docs
Creating invoices in Google Docs is almost similar to creating invoices in a Word document. While MS Word is a paid resource, Google Docs is an open-source available to everyone having a Google account. So if you don’t have a subscription to Word, you can use Google Docs as an equal alternative. Follow the similar process to that of an invoice format in MS Word.
Invoice format in Google Sheets
Creating invoices in Google Sheets is almost similar to creating invoices in Excel Sheets. While MS Excel is a paid resource, Google Sheets is an open-source available to everyone having a Google account. If you don’t have a subscription to Excel, you can use Google Sheets as an equal alternative. Follow the similar process to that of creating an invoice in MS Word.
Benefits of Having a Customised Invoice Format
Now that you know how to create an invoice format using different online sources and softwares, let us also see the difference that a customised invoice makes to your business.
- A customised look: A customised invoice is a great addition to your business as it represents your brand and stands out from the rest. It could be a font, colour or the business logo; you can add everything representing your brand. A customised look definitely gives your business a unique identity.
- Customised fields: As per invoice norms, some specific fields must appear on an invoice. However, after ensuring everything is in place, you can add custom fields that are business-specific.
For example, if you are running a pharmacy store, you can create fields to enter descriptions of the medicines. You can also add specific terms and conditions and any other details you would like your customer to be aware of. Besides, you can also remove any fields if you find them unnecessary.
- Add payment links or codes: If you’re using the invoice for online billing purposes or if you’re sending the invoice to collect the payment from your customer, you can add your UPI bar code, UPI ID, UPI phone number or bank account details to enable faster payments.
- GST-Complaint: For GST-registered businesses, generating GST compliant invoices is a must. Hence, you can add specific fields or columns that make the invoice GST-specific. For example, you can add CGST, SGST, IGST or other tax-related fields to make the invoice GST-compliant.
Use myBillBook Billing Software to Generate Invoices
myBillBook is the best billing and accounting software that provides both GST and non-GST invoices in seconds. When it comes to customising invoices, the app offers the following features.
- 7 Invoice Themes/Formats: Not every business requires the same invoice type when it comes to size, shape, colours, font, and other details. myBillBook offers up to 7 invoice themes to enable businesses to choose one based on their requirement. Further, it provides 8 different colour options that can be applied to any invoice theme.
- Custom Invoice Number: As per GST norms, every invoice should contain a serial number. myBillBook allows users to include the invoice number with a custom prefix and sequence number. Once the prefix and sequence or set, the app follows the same series for all the new invoices. Users can change the series whenever they wish by visiting the Invoice Settings option.
- Enable/Disable Options: myBillBook allows you to display or hide some options based on your requirement. As of now, there are four such options: ‘Show Party Balance, Enable Free Item Quantity, Show Item Description, and Show Purchase Price While adding items’. With easy toggle buttons, you can enable or disable them in the ‘Invoice Settings’.
- Add Custom Fields: Another interesting feature of myBillBook invoicing software is that you can add custom fields. You can choose the fields like PO Number, E-way Bill Number, Vehicle Number from the Invoice Settings. In addition, if you need any other fields, you can add them by clicking the ‘+Add Custom Field’ button in the Invoice Settings menu.
Each invoice theme represents the information uniquely so that users can choose the one suitable for their business. Further, myBillBook also includes both GST and non-GST variants, thus helping both GST and non-GST registered businesses. Download Today!
Know more about Billing & Accounting Software for Small Businesses
- Open Source Accounting Software
- Sales Purchase Software
- Open Source Inventory Management Software
- Free Accounting Software
- Personal Accounting Software
- Mobile Bookkeeping App
- Mobile Accounting Software
- Accounting App
- Ledger Accounting Software
- E Invoicing Software
- Billing And Invoice Management Software