When someone decides to start a business, he or she must examine several factors. Some laws and regulations must be observed while registering a business that provides goods and services. Getting a GSTIN number for your company is one thing to think about. However, you must first understand the GSTIN eligibility requirements. You are qualified for GSTIN registration if your firm generates more than 40 lakhs in revenue per year. However, in other states (special category states), the GSTIN registration limit is set at 20 lakh transactions. It is mandatory to obtain a GSTIN if you operate an e-commerce business.
To know more about what GSTIN is and how you can search GST on the GST portal, peruse the guide given below.
What is GST number, GSTIN, and its Structure?
GSTIN stands for GST identification number, often known as GST number. Every GST registered person is given a GSTIN, which is a 15-digit PAN-based unique identification number. You should verify your GST Number (GSTIN) before putting it in your GST Returns if you are a GST-registered dealer. Each taxpayer is given a 15-digit Goods and Services Taxpayer Identification Number based on their PAN (GSTIN). According to the Indian Census 2011, the first two digits denote the state code. Each state has its unique code. Karnataka, for example, has a state code of 29. Delhi’s state code is 07. The taxpayer’s PAN number will be the next ten digits. The thirteenth digit will be determined by the number of people who have registered in a given state. By default, the fourteenth digit will be “Z.” The check code will be the last digit. It could be a letter or a number.
To register for GST, you will need some documents that are mandatory to have. Such documents include company pan card, photographs, identity proofs (Aadhar card/passport/driving license), proof of office address, bank details (statement/cancelled cheque/passbook), certificate of association for private ltd company, partnership deed in case the firm is on a partnership basis.
Steps involved in GST number search using the name
The GST platform does not currently allow you to search for a GST number by name. A taxpayer can look up a GST number by entering his GSTIN/UIN or the PAN of the registered taxpayer he’s looking for. The facility to search GSTIN by name was previously available on the platform, but it has been removed now.
Steps involved in GST search by PAN
If you want to search GST by PAN, then users can follow the guidelines given here.
- You need to open the GST portal on the official website which is https://www.gst.gov.in/Now select the option Search Taxpayer on the homepage of the GST portal
- You can now see the drop-down menu with a few options. You must select the option – Search by PAN
- You will now be taken to the taxpayer search page.
- Fill in the PAN field of the search with the taxpayer’s PAN number.
- Then, enter the captcha text
- Click on the Search button
- The portal will now show the GSTIN/UIN registered against the PAN
- The status of your GST registration and the state it was filed can be found in this section
- Then you should select the GSTIN link which is located under the GSTIN/UIN field.
- Now you will be directed to Search by GSTIN/UIN page
- The GSTIN will be automatically filled in the field and all you need to enter is the captcha text
- Click on the Search button
- Now the portal will show the details related to the GSTIN including the legal name of the business, date of registration, trade name, GSTIN/UIN status, return filing table, the constitution of business, etc.
Steps involved in GST search by GSTIN
If you want to check the registration status of the business or company, you can do so by searching the GSTIN. The steps to search GST numbers by GSTIN/UIN are as follows:
- Open the GST portal by clicking this link – https://www.gst.gov.in/
- Now select the Search Taxpayer option from the homepage
- You can now see the drop-down menu. From the options, you must select Search by GSTIN/UIN
- You can see the search taxpayer page now. Go ahead and fill in the GSTIN/UIN of the taxpayer
- Enter the captcha text after filling in the details
- Type the captcha text in the field given
- Click on the Search button
- The GST portal will provide information about the GSTIN entered in the required field.
- Examples of such information include the legal name of the business, trade name, date of registration, taxpayer type, GSTIN/UIN status, business constitution, and return filing table.
Steps involved in GST search GST Number Search by Composition Taxpayer
In the case of a normal registered individual, the steps to find a GST number are as follows:
- Visit the website of GST to access the GST portal. You can also click this link https://www.gst.gov.in/ which will direct you to the official website
- Select the tab Search Taxpayer from the homepage of the GST portal
- From the drop-down menu, you should select the option Search Composition Taxpayer
- Now you can see the taxpayer opted in/out for the composition page
- You can see two options in the drop-down menu of the opt-in/out tab. You must select the required option from it
- You can search the composition taxpayer by using GSTIN/UIN after you have selected the suitable option
- If you have selected the GSTIN/UIN option, then you will have to fill in the details of GSTIN/UIN. But if you want to look for the composition taxpayer using the ‘state’ option, you must first select the appropriate state, financial year, and legal name of the company.
- You must also add the captcha text afterward
- At last, click on the Search button
- The portal will display all the details related to the GSTIN or the state details you have filled in the fields. You can find details like the legal name of the business, trade name, date of registration, GSTIN/UIN status, and more.
It’s important to keep in mind that a company’s commercial name is not the same as its legal name. When registering for GST registration, the legal name of the business must be used. The company’s trade name and day-to-day invoicing and bank account administration are all used.
FAQs regarding GST Number Search
- What is GSTIN’s purpose?
One of the prerequisites for launching a business is obtaining a GSTIN. GSTIN must be displayed at all locations where a registered individual does business, according to GST law. It must also be referenced during the creation of invoices, the generation of e-way bills, the filing of GST returns, and the submission of information to the tax authority.
- Is it possible to have numerous GSTINs or GST numbers?
If a company does business in more than one state, it must register for GST in each state separately. If a garment company sells its products in Karnataka and Delhi, it must register for GST in both states separately.
- What is the process for getting a GST ID number?
To obtain a GSTIN, use the GST portal to submit Form GST REG-01 along with the appropriate papers. GSTIN will be assigned to the applicant once an officer performs verification.