How to Cancel E-invoice in GST Portal
Errors in e-invoice entries are possible. You can fix them in manuals if they happen. However, you cannot change an e-invoice after its creation. You can only cancel e-invoice and create a new one with corrected values.
Process to Cancel E-invoice in GST Portal
The government portal provides two e-invoice cancellation procedures.
Cancel Single Invoice
- Login to the e-Invoice portal.
- Select “Cancel” from the sidebar.
- Enter the Acknowledgement number or the IRN.
- Press the “Go” button.
- Select the e-Invoice, and enter the Cancellation Reason.
- Click “Submit”.
Cancel Bulk E-invoices
- Navigate to the e-Invoice portal.
- Browse to Help-Tools-Bulk Generation Tools.
- Download the e-Invoice Cancel by IRN – JSON Preparation offline utility.
- Click “Validate” after entering the IRN, Reason for Cancellation, and Cancel Remarks.
- Once the file validation is complete, click “Prepare JSON”.
- Login to the e-Invoice portal, select e-Invoice, and click “Bulk IRN Cancel”.
- Finally, upload the JSON file.
Reasons to Cancel E-invoice
There can be several reasons for anyone to cancel the e-invoice, such as:
- A buyer cancelling an order
- Data entry that is incorrect
- A duplicate entry
Rules on E-invoice Cancellation
- You cannot use the same invoice number to generate a new IRN.
- The IRP will not allow cancellation if an IRN has an active e-way bill.
- If you cancel an IRN, the GSTR-1 will be automatically updated to reflect the ‘cancelled’ status.
- You can cancel an e-invoice after 24 hours on the GST portal before filing your GST returns.
- You can amend an e-Invoice only through the GST portal.
What is the deadline for cancelling an e-invoice?
You have 24 hours to cancel an e-invoice.
Can the e-invoice be revised?
No. If there is an error or incorrect entry in the e-invoice, you cannot edit or correct it. The only option is to cancel that invoice, upload a new one, and generate a new IRN.
Can I use the same e-Invoice number to create a new invoice after cancelling the previous one?
No. Each e-invoice has its IRN. Unfortunately, the same Supplier GSTIN, Doc Type, or Financial Year cannot generate multiple IRNs and create new invoices.