UAN is the short form of Universal Account Number. It is associated with the Employee Provident Fund services that take place online that is why UAN is very crucial as a whole process. Just because of UAN, the activities related to your PF account services such as checking the balance of EPF without the help of an employer, withdrawal, and PF loan application have become very easy. In this article, you can find all the things related to Universal Account Number such as UAN registration, UAN activation, and how to activate UAN.
What is UAN Number?
When it is about the UAN number, it is a 12-digit unique number offered to all the employees at the time of their first job. It is created and assigned by the EPFO (Employee Provident Fund Organisation) and verified by the Labor and Employment Ministry, Government of India. UAN allows easy access to all the online services of PF. No matter how many jobs are changed by the employee, the UAN remains the same throughout his or her life but a new EPF Account ID or member identification number is allotted that is linked to the UAN. If required, an employee can even request a new member ID by submitting the UAN to the new employer. It is a platform that acts as an umbrella where an individual can run their multiple PF accounts.
What are the Documents Required for UAN Activation?
The individual joining the first registered enterprise for a job has to consider the given-below documents to get the Unique Account Number or UAN number activation.
- ID Proof: Any national identity cards such as passport, driving license, SSLC Book, Aadhaar card, or voter ID.
- Bank Account Details: Branch name, Account number, and IFSC code.
- PAN Card: Your PAN must be linked to the Universal Account Number.
- ESIC card
- Aadhaar card: It is mandatory to submit the Aadhaar card that is linked to both mobile number and bank account.
- Address Proof: Rental/lease agreement, ration card, a recent utility bill in your name, or any of the above-mentioned ID proof if it includes your present address.
Steps for Online UAN Registration and UAN Activation
If you want to know how to activate UAN number online or in any other way, you can check out the steps given below:
- Activation of UAN through EPFO Mobile App
In 2015, the EPFO mobile app was launched to make the UAN activation procedure easier. One can make use of this application to access their EPF and associated details on the go through the smartphone. If you want to activate the UAN, you can make it possible through the EPFO Mobile app. The same process is followed when you activate the UAN through the EPFO website. The steps are as follows:
- The very first step is to download the application from the Appstore on your phone.
- Choose the option “Member”.
- Below this, you will find two options: UAN activation and Balance/Passbook.
- Then, choose the option “Active UAN”.
- Fill in the details like Extension (000), Establishment code, UAN number, Employee number, and your registered mobile number. Note: The employee numbers and establishment code are none other but the Member ID or the PF number which is usually seen in the payslip raised by your employer. If such details are not available, you must contact your employer.
- Tick the box “I declare above details pertain to me and are correct”.
- Press on the button “Activate”.
- Once you are done with the submission of all the required details, you can access your account to check the essential details.
- For your information, the mobile application of EPFO is available in APK format on the official website of EPFO for android phone users.
- Activating UAN through Aadhaar
You can even self-activate your UAN number with the use of your Aadhaar number. You have to just follow the below-given steps:
- Visit the portal of EPFO Member
- Select the option “Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment”
- Give your 16-digit Aadhaar Number
- Click on the button “Generate OTP”
- You will get an OTP on your registered mobile number which you have to enter and press on the “Submit” button
- Then, the webpage will show the details of your Aadhaar
- Click on the button “Register”
- Once you are done with the registration, the UAN will be assigned to you.
- Activating UAN through SMS
If you want, you can even activate UAN through SMS. Activating UAN through SMS is an easy way as it allows you to activate your account by just sending an SMS to 7738299899. However, the charges will be applied by your telecom operator. You have to send an SMS in a particular format (EPFOHO UAN <12-digit UAN number>, <22-digit member ID> from your mobile number to the above-given number. Do not apply space before and after a comma in the format. This method is ideal for those who do not have an internet connection, computers, and smartphones.
Benefits of UAN Number
- It helps the EPFO to track the joining of multiple jobs of the employee.
- It helps to centralize the data of the employee in the nation.
- It allows the EPFO to extract KYC and the bank account details of the member without the help of the employers.
- It lowers the burden of employee verification from employers and companies by EPF enterprise.
- With the introduction of UAN, early and untimely EPF withdrawals have decreased considerably.
FAQs related to UAN Number
1. How should I do my UAN activation?
UAN activation can be done by visiting https://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/. However, you should have a member ID, mobile, and UAN to carry out the activation. If you need any further assistance, you can click on the hyperlink ‘User Manual for Members’. Once your UAN is activated, you can log in to the UAN Member Portal by entering the valid credentials (User ID and password) created by you.
2. What is the purpose of listing all previous member IDs in the Universal Account Number?
The main use of the UAN is to bring various member IDs accumulated to a single employee. Hence, it is beneficial for checking the entire current and previous member IDs of an employee. Moreover, it even allows you to check the requirement for transferring PF amounts online. In addition, employees would need to reveal their UAN or previous member IDS to their new employer in Form-11.
3. Can I upload my KYC document through the UAN Members e-Sewa portal?
Of course, you can upload your KYC documents on the UAN Member e-Sewa portal. You have to just visit the UAN Member e-Sewa portal and access your account by giving your valid UAN and password. Choose KYC under the tab ‘Manage’. In this section, you can upload any of your KYC documents like PAN, Aadhar, Ration Card, Passport, Election Card, Driving License, and National Population Registration Number.
4. What are the provisions offered to members via the UAN-based Member Portal?
The facilities provided by the UAN-based Member Portal to the members are as follows:
- Download UAN Card
- Download Passbook
- Enter KYC Details
- Edit Personal Details
- List Previous Member IDs
- Check Eligibility for Online Transfer Claim
The members can expect additional services in the future from the UAN-based Member Portal. This portal has made things very easy for the members.