How to Modify, Reject and Cancel E-Way Bills under GST
How to Cancel e-Way Bill
Information on ‘How to cancel an e-way bill’ is one of the major questions most of you – the transporters, sellers, or buyers look out for, as generating e-way bills is one of the common activities you conduct every day. This page explains the process of e-way bill cancellation on eway bill portal, eway bill cancellation time, how to cancel eway bills after 24 hours, how to reject eway bills and other important information related to eway bill cancellation.
Reasons to Cancel e-Way Bill
You can cancel an e-way bill for multiple reasons, some of which include –
- Goods not being transported
- Incorrect data entry
- Cancelled order
- Duplicate bill
Things to Remember Before Cancelling an e-Way Bill
Irrespective of the reasons for cancelling an e-way bill, there are a few things you need to remember before cancelling it.
- You cannot delete an e-way bill once generated, but you can cancel it.
- Only the generator of the e-way bill can cancel it. Any other stakeholders involved in the delivery process, like the buyer or transporter, cannot cancel the e-way bill not generated by them.
- An e-way bill can be cancelled within 24 hours of its generation.
- You cannot cancel an e-way bill 24 hours after generating it.
- You cannot cancel an e-way bill once any empowered officer verifies it.
- Once cancelled, you cannot use the same e-way bill. It will be considered illegal.
How to Cancel eWay Bill – Step-by-Step Guide
The only way to cancel an e-way bill is on the eway bill official portal. Here is a step-by-step guide to cancel your e-way bill on the eway bill portal.
Steps to Cancel e-Way Bill on e-Way Bill Portal
- Visit e-way bill website at www.ewaybillgst.gov.in
- Login to the portal using your username and password.
- From the left-side menu, click on ‘eWay Bill’ and select ‘Cancel’.
- You will be redirected to the ‘Cancel e-Way Bill’ page.
- Enter the e-way bill number you want to cancel and click on ‘Go’
- The e-way bill associated with that number will be displayed.
- Scroll down and select the ‘Reason for Cancellation.’
- Order Cancelled
- Data Entry Mistakes or
- Enter related ‘Remarks’ in the next column
- Click on ‘Cancel’
- On successful cancellation, the screen will display the message ‘e-way Bill Cancelled Successfully’
- Click on ‘OK’ to get a preview of the cancelled e-way bill. The cancelled e-way bill with ‘Cancelled’ written across will be displayed on the screen.
e-Way Bill Cancellation Time
The e-way bill portal can store e-way bill data for a maximum of 24 hours. Therefore, any eway bill can be cancelled only within the first 24 hours of its generation. This means after the 24-hour window, the cancellation of an e-way is not possible.
How to Cancel e-Way Bill After 24 Hours
As mentioned earlier, if an e-way bill is generated, but no goods have been moved, it can be cancelled within 24 hours of its creation. However, if this cancellation isn’t done within the first 24 hours, the generator, either the supplier or transporter, cannot cancel the e-way bill from his end. However, there is a provision where the receipt of the consignment can reject the generated e-way bill within 72 hours of generating an e-way bill. Once the receipt rejects the e-way bill, it gets cancelled.
- How to Reject an e-Way Bill
You can reject an e-way bill only if you’re the recipient of the specific consignment. The rejection window is within 72 hours of its generation or before its validity ends, whichever comes first. However, if a checking officer verifies an e-way bill during transit, it cannot be rejected even within the 72-hour timeframe.
- Steps to Reject e-Way Bills | Steps to Cancel e-Way Bill After 24 Hours
- Login to the e-way Bill Portal
- From the left side menu, click on ‘Reject’
- On the ‘Reject e-Way Bill Generated by Others’ page, enter the date on which the e-way bill has been generated and click on ‘Submit’
- The list of e-way bills generated on that particular date will be displayed.
- Select the e-way bill you want to cancel by checking the ‘Select for Reject’ box.
- And click on ‘Reject’
- Upon successful rejection, the system will display ‘The number of e-way bills rejected’.
- The generator of the e-way bill receives a message and mail on his registered mobile number and email address saying that the e-way generated by you got rejected by the recipient.
How to Cancel an e-way Bill After 72 Hours
The cancellation time for an e-way bill stands on two conditions:
- Cancel before 24 hours from e-way bill generation or before it’s verified in transit.
- Request the recipient to whom the e-way bill details were communicated to reject the generated e-way bill 72 hours before its creation.
If you wish to cancel an e-way bill beyond this time frame, which is after 72 hours it is not possible on the eway bill portal.
The Process of Updating Vehicle Numbers on EWBs
The Vehicle Number entry is optional when generating part-A of the e-Way Bill. However, an e-Way Bill must have a vehicle number to be valid for the transportation of goods.
You can update the vehicle number on the document using the e-way bill portal when the e-way bill is within its validity period in the following situations:
- When you did not enter the“Vehicle Number” on the e-Way Bill
- When you shift goods to another vehicle/conveyance during transit due to breakdown or transhipment
- You cannot edit any other details of the e-way bills.
- You can update vehicle details for multiple e-way bills in a single shot using the “Bulk update vehicle number” option on the e-way bill portal, where an excel template can be filled up and uploaded.
Vehicle Number Updation Process
Here is a step-by-step Process to Update the Vehicle Number:
- First, navigate to the e-way bills portal. Then, log in and Select the “Update Vehicle No” sub-option under “e-waybill” on the left-hand side of the dashboard.Note: Select “Re-generate” under “Consolidated EWB” if you need to make an update of transport /vehicle details in your consolidated e-way bill.The last steps remain the same.
- Select either “e-Way Bill No” or “Generated Date” against “Show e-Way Bill By:” Enter the e-Way Bill No. or Date and Click “Go.“Select the relevant e-Way Bill you want to update the vehicle number from A list of filtered e-Way Bills.
- Fill in the details:
- Vehicle number
- From Place
- Choose the reason for the change from the drop-down – Transhipment, Vehicle Break down or Not updated earlier remarks, if any.
- Click on the “Submit” button.Note: Instead of the vehicle number, enter the transporter document number if the mode of transportation is rail, air, or ship.
- Now, your e-way bill gets updated with new details instantly. However, if there are any errors, they will be displayed. In addition, you can edit even consolidated e-way bills for vehicle details.
Updating Transporter ID on E-way Bills
Initially assigned Transporter/ seller who generated e-way bills can change/ re-assign the Transporter ID, thereby replacing the existing transporter with a new one. However, if the initially assigned transporter assigns another transporter by changing the “TransID,” then the seller cannot make any changes. Further, you can edit only Part-B details.
Here is a step-by-step re-assignment of another transporter:
- First, select “Update EWB Transporter” under the “e-way bill” option on the dashboard’s left-hand side panel.
Note: You can enter “Transporter GSTIN” or “Transporter enrolment ID.”
- Enter the new/changed “Transporter ID” and Click “Submit.”
- You can view the updated e-way bill and click on “Print” to print the e-way bill.
Note: There is no change in the e-way bill number if you change the transporter details.
How to Reject EWBs
You can use this option to reject the e-way bills generated by other parties (as recipients/suppliers) on the former’s GSTIN. For example, You can reject the e-way bill when the consignment did not reach the destination or got cancelled on the way.
Prerequisites for the Rejection:
- E-way bill generation date
- E-way bill number that needs rejection
The Rejection Process
- Navigate to the e-way bill portal, log in, and click on “Reject.”
- The following screen appears :
- Select the date of e-way bill generation and Click on “Submit.” Next, select the concerned e-way bill you want to reject from the list of bills. Finally, wait for the message on the screen once the rejection is complete.
Note: As a second party, one can communicate the acceptance or rejection of such consignment specified in the e-Way Bill. If the approval or rejection did not reach within 72 hours from the time of generation of the e-Way Bill, then you can consider it accepted.
Extension of the E-way Bill Validity Period
If you are wondering how to extend e-way bill validity after the expiry date, do not worry. You can extend the validity period of e-way bills by the generator of the e-way bills either eight hours before expiry or eight hours after the expiry of the e-way bill. Here is how to do the same:
- Log in and select “Extend validity” under the “e-waybill” option on the dashboard.
- Enter the e-way bill number of the e-way bill for which you want an extension.
- When the e-way bill form appears, click “Yes” against the Question “Do you wish to get an extension for this EWB?” at the bottom of the screen. Enter the reason for the extension as well.
- You may re-enter the distance, place of dispatch and place of delivery.
Note: Once your e-way bill’s validity extension starts, the new e-way bill number gets allotted in place of the old one. The user cannot change the details of Part-A. He will get the extended validity for the remaining distance to travel.