What is FSSAI?
If we talk about FSSAI full form, it is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) which has been launched below Food Safety and Standards, 2006 which combines different orders and acts that have previously dealt with food-associated problems in various Departments and Ministries. FSSAI has been formed to adopt science-based standards for articles of food and regulate their distribution, manufacture, sale, storage, and import to ensure accessibility of wholesome and safe food for human consumption.
What is an FSSAI License, Who Needs it, and Types of FSSAI Food License?
The food business operators who are engaged in the processing, manufacturing, sale, storage, and distribution of food products should compulsorily get FSSAI registration or license. FSSAI license is distinct from the registration of FSSAI depending on the nature and size of the business. It is a 14-digit license or registration number that is printed on all the packages of food. It provides the details about the producer’s permit and assembling state. The registration and licensing procedure are controlled by Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2011. Have a look at different kinds of FSSAI Food License which are as follows:
- Basic Registration
- State License
- Central License
FSSAI Basic Registration License
- The eligibility of getting FSSAI Basic Registration License are:
- The organization should have an annual turnover of Rs. 12 lakhs.
- Being issued by the State Government, this license is given to transporters, small manufacturers, storage units, distributors, and marketers.
- The issuance of license should be for a period of a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years.
FSSAI Registration State License
- The issuance of this license is done by the State Government.
- This license is offered to SMEs such as transporters, storage houses, transporters, marketers, distributors, etc.
- The company’s annual turnover should be at least Rs. 12 lakhs.
- The business should have its activities in only one state.
- The license is issued for a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years.
FSSAI Registration Central License
- The issuance of this license is done by the Central Government.
- It is issued for a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years.
- This license is given to food business operators with an annual turnover of Rs. 20 crores.
- Companies working as importers in the export-oriented business or food business, ports or airports, operators in the Central Government Agencies, large manufacturers, etc. should have central licenses issued by FSSAI.
- A company that is involved in the food business must have a license for the head office if it is working in different cities or states.
Steps Involved in FSSAI Registration
Before going ahead for a food license in India, you have to register FSSAI for which the steps are as follows:
- Food Business Operators are required to submit Form A (FBO has a turnover of less than Rs. 12 lakhs and basic registration) and Form B for food business operators having a turnover below Rs. 20 crores.
- In addition, it takes about 7 days for the verification and validation of information.
- Also, the applicant would receive the registration certificate, including the photo of the applicant and the registration number once the application is accepted.
- Moreover, this certificate has details like operation time and location of business.
FSSAI License Renewal
The procedure to renew FSSAI license is not complicated at all and it can be done in any of the two ways:
Online Process for the Renewal of FSSAI Food License
The comfortable and easiest kind of process for FSSAI Renewal is of course online. However, you should understand the online process for the renewal of your food license. For getting the license online, the food business operators should follow certain steps, and then they will get the license in 30 to 60 days. To undertake the process, you need to first create your username and password to do the registration with FSSAI. You can start the application process once you have an online account with the authorities. Moreover, you have to upload all the essential documents, and then you have to submit the application. And then you would be provided with an application reference number so that you can keep a record of the status of the application to renew a food license. Make a user ID generated should be valid for only 30 days. Therefore, you should ensure that you complete all the documentation and formalities within 30 days, or else the ID will be disabled.
Offline Process for the Renewal of FSSAI Food License
The renewal process of your food license can also be made offline as well. However, there are several steps that are included in the procedure. The very first step of renewing the FSSAI food license is to file up the form A, B, and C as per the eligibility of the food business for a specific kind of license which is basic state, or central license. The second step is to attach a self-attested declaration that is expected to follow the rules of the Food Safety and Standards Act (FSSA). The third step is that the authority receives your application for checking it and inspects the operating bases of FBO. In the fourth step, the inspection officer will transfer the application along with the inspection report when he is satisfied with the regulations and compliance of the FBO. Finally, the authorities will issue the FSSAI Renewal License in about 60 days. If the license is not issued within 60 days of submission, you do not need to worry as you can undertake the business without the renewal.
FAQs on FSSAI
1. Why do you require an FSSAI food license?
The FSSAI full form stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and it is necessary to become a legal distributor and producer of food. You can offer clean food to the masses only after you pass the hygiene and safety regulations. As per the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006, every business undertaking is at stake if they don’t obtain a food license.
2. Is there any fee for the FSSAI license?
The FSSAI license fee is Rs. 3,000 which is applied for productions that are less than 1MT and for milk units ranging between 2.5MT to 500MT or 501 to 10,000 LPD per annum. And it is Rs. 2,000 for all food service providers like canteens, clubs, restaurants, and so on.
3. What are the essential documents needed for the FSSAI license?
The main documents needed for FSSAI license are as follows:
- Passport size photograph
- PAN card of the owner
- Aadhar card of the owner
- IEC Code (for central license)
- Gas Bill/Electricity Bill/Water Bill
- CA declaration (if your turnover is 18 or 19 crores)
4. How to check the validity of FSSAI license?
For checking the validity of your FSSAI license, you have to click the FSSAI licenses number check option on the web page ‘LegalDocs’. Then you have to enter your FSSAI registration number. Lastly, you have to log in to know the complete details of your license. Otherwise, you can check it by directly visiting the official FSSAI website https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/
5. How long does it take to obtain an FSSAI license?
Once you complete the steps for FSSAI registration, you can expect to get your FSSAI license within 58 working days in your official email ID given. If any delay happens, they will notify you about it.