This article is all related to the GST registration status check. If you want to know how to check the status with the help of certain steps, then you are on the right page. Also, you would come to know about the GST registration process, who should file it, how to check GST status and many more facts. Continue reading to explore more about the matter.
What is the validity of GST Registration?
The Law of GST has classified taxpayers into casual taxpayers, composition taxpayers, regular taxpayers, and non-resident taxable people. A person undertaking a business becomes liable to register GST when his business crosses the GST turnover limit. Moreover, he or she has to do the GST registration within 30 days from the date of registration. However, when it comes to non-resident or casual taxable persons, the rule is unique as they are allowed to take registration within five days before the business is commenced.
There is no validity duration for a normal taxpayer that has issued the registration certificate. However, a limited time has been allowed for non-resident and casual taxable persons to get their registration valid. The GST registration for non-resident and a casual taxable person has 90 days validity for the time given in the application by the applicant or right from the date of registration, whichever is earlier. The period can be extended but not more than 90 days and the extension has to be shown in form GST REG-11.
Who should file GST registration?
Certain individuals can register GST which are as follows:
- Organizations or businesses with the threshold limit of Rs. 40 lakhs (Rs. 10 lakhs for Jammu & Kashmir, North-Eastern States, Uttarakhand, and Himachal Pradesh).
- People registered under the law of Pre-GST (i.e. Excise, VAT, Service Tax, and so on).
- Individuals who distribute through e-commerce aggregator
- A non-resident taxable person or casual taxable person
- All e-commerce aggregators
- People who are paying tax as per the reverse charge mechanism
- Input service supplier and agents of a supplier
- An individual providing database access and online data or retrieval services from a location that is out of India to an individual in India besides a registered taxable person.
Stages of GST Registration Status
At every stage of GST registration, the applicant gets a GST application status in written form. If you will understand the distinct stages of GST registration, you can easily determine the status of the GST application. So check out the various stages of registration which are given below:
Pending for Verification Status: This status simply means that the GST application is submitted successfully and the verification is pending for the application.
Provisional Status: The name itself suggests that the filing of the GST application has not been done yet. Once the application is submitted by the applicant, a provision ID number would be generated.
Migrated Status: It simply means that the application of GST has been migrated successfully.
Validation Against Error Status: This status means that the details entered by the applicant do not match with the data provided by the Department of Income Tax. The applicant needs to make the application correct as soon as he or she views this status.
Cancelled Status: The cancelled status appears when the application has failed or is rejected. The applicant has to re-apply by correcting the issues or errors that occurred in the GST application as per the GST laws.
How to Check Existing GST Registration Status?
If you want to check GST registration status that is existing, you can follow the steps given below:
- You have to visit the portal of GST.
- Choose the user services from the tab of services.
- Next, you have to search for the taxpayer.
- Fill in the GSTIN number and fulfill the Captcha.
- Now then you can view the status of your existing GST registration right after clicking the button ‘search’.
How to check GST registration status?
When it comes to the GST registration application, it normally takes 7 business days to assign the provisional GSTIN number and 10 days to assign a final and actual GSTIN number and GST registration certificate. Now you have to follow the below-given steps to check your GST registration application status online:
- You have to go to the portal of GST.
- Next, you have to select the registration below the services tab.
- Then press on track application status.
- After that, give your ARN number and fill in the Captcha.
- You can view the status of the GST registration application by clicking the search tab.
- The website will show at which status of registration a GST application is.
GST status check – FAQs
- How should I track my submitted GST application status as a taxpayer after logging into the GST portal?
Once you submit the GST application in the GST portal, you would be provided with an Application Reference Number (ARN in short). With the use of the ARN, you can track your application status. Moreover, you can see the status of your ARN after signing into the GST portal with the help of the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the URL https://www.gst.gov.in/. You will see the GST home page.
- Sign in to the GST portal with your valid username and password.
In Case of ARN:
- In the field of ARN, you have to enter the ARN received on your mail ID when you applied for GST registration.
- Hit the button ‘Search’.
When it comes to the Submission Period:
- Choose the period of submission of the applicant with the use of the calendar.
- Hit the button ‘Search’.
- How should I do my GST status check of the submitted application as a taxpayer without signing into the GST portal?
Once you submit the registration application, you would be given an ARN (Application Reference Number). By using this ARN, you can track the GST registration status of your application. Check out the steps right below that helps you to see the status of your ARN on the GST portal without logging into it.
- Visit https://www.gst.gov.in/ URL and then you can view its home page.
- Press the Services, then Registration, and then Track Application Status.
- In the column of ARN, you have to fill in the ARN received on your email ID on submitting your registration application.
- In the field of ‘Type the characters you see in the image below”, you have to fill in the captcha text.
- At last, hit the button ‘Search’.
- How should I track the status of my GST registration application submitted as a taxpayer after signing into the GST portal using TRN?
You have to just perform the following steps below to track your registration application status after signing into the GST portal using TRN (Temporary Reference Number).
- Go to the URL https://www.gst.gov.in/ and then you will view the GST home page appeared.
- Click on the link ‘Register Now.’
- Choose the option ‘Temporary Reference Number (TRN)’.
- In the field of Temporary Reference Number (TRN), you have to enter the TRN received.
- Hit the ‘Proceed’ tab.
- Enter the OTP received on your email address and mobile number. Remember that the OTP is working only for 10 minutes.
- Hit the tab ‘Proceed’.
- A page of ‘My Saved Application’ will be displayed and there you can check your application status below the Status column.